Police say stabbing in Canada suspect Miles Sanderson has been taken into custody

TORONTO – Canadian police said Wednesday they have arrested the fugitive accused of stabbing Miles Sanderson after a four-day manhunt that has strained Saskatchewan.

Sanderson, 32, and his brother Damien, 31, have been charged with premeditated murder Stabbing attacks on the nation of James Smith Cree and the neighboring village of Weldon On Sunday, 10 people were killed and 18 injured in one of Canada’s deadliest mass killings. Damien Sanderson was found dead in the James Smith Cree Nation area Monday with injuries that authorities said did not appear to be self-made.

Miles Sanderson has been located and taken into police custody near Rostern. [Saskatchewan] At about 3:30 p.m. today, “The Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Saskatchewan He said in a statement. “There is no longer a public safety risk with respect to this investigation.”

Family members celebrate loved ones, describing the horror of being stabbed

Rosthern is about 80 miles southwest of the James Smith Cree Nation, where the killings began Sunday morning. Police got the first call at 5:40 a.m., and then much more, about stabbings at the Aboriginal Reserve. By the end of the day, the massacre had been traced to 13 different crime scenes.

The ages of the victims, whose identities were released on Wednesday, ranged from 23 to 78. All but one are from the nation of James Smith Cree. They included a mother who died protecting her children, an addiction counselor who was responding to an emergency call and a Canadian Army veteran.

“It’s a heavy burden on the shoulders of a lot of people that he’s being held,” Randy Hoback, a Canadian MP who represents the part of Saskatchewan where the killings took place, told Canadian Broadcasting Corp. I think a lot of people sigh very hard and I will sleep better tonight.”

Mark Arcand, whose half-sister Bonnie Burns was stabbed in Saskatchewan, Canada, said she was killed for “meaningless actions” at a September 7 news conference (Video: Associated Press)

After the stabbings, police said they believed Sanderson was in Regina, the provincial capital. On Tuesday, they met at James Smith Cree Nation after reports that he had been seen there, and urged residents to seek shelter.

But later they decided he did not exist and said his whereabouts were unknown.

On Wednesday afternoon, police issued an emergency alert to the community of Waco, about 20 miles east of Rostern, after reports of a knife-wielding man driving a stolen white Chevrolet Avalanche. They said they believed it could be related to the mass stabbing.

Sanderson was caught on the side of the road. A video broadcast by CBC showed the avalanche collapse among police cars.

The police did not specify the motive for the killing.

Since Sanderson was named as a suspect in Sunday’s attacks, Canadians have questioned why a convicted 59 man is an adult and a violent criminal spanning nearly two decades on the streets.

Police have been looking for him since May, when he was declared “illegally at liberty” after not reporting him to a parole officer.

He was serving a four-year and four-month prison sentence on charges including assault, robbery and other incidents of violence, including cases in which two people were stabbed with a fork, hit an unconscious man and repeatedly kicked a police officer’s head, according to records from the Parole Board of Canada obtained by the newspaper. Washington Post.

Records said Sanderson began using drugs and alcohol when he was 12, and grew up in an environment where physical and domestic violence were common. According to records, Sanderson said he was easily irritated when drunk and a “different” person when sober.

He was legally released in August 2021. Canadian law requires that certain federal criminals who have served two-thirds of their sentences be released from prison and placed under direct supervision in their communities.

Sanderson’s legal release was rescinded in November after he had not been honest with his parole supervisor about living with his ex-wife, in violation of the terms of his legal release.

The board wrote: “The parole supervisor has assessed that this situation indicates that you have been in your own cycle of domestic violence and that your risks are no longer controllable in the community.”

The board canceled the suspension in February, writing that it “would not present an undue risk” to the public.

“To move forward, you need to be honest and open with your parole supervisor,” she wrote.

Marco Mendicino, Canada’s public safety minister, said this week that the council intends to review its decision.

Leave a Comment